Thursday, June 4, 2009

For Erik by Laura Lambert

This is a poem Laura Lambert wrote about Erik! It is very special to me and I wanted to share it with ya'll hope you enjoy!

(for Erik)

He shrieks
as he pulls up grass and
delights in the feel of sun on his
face
and I am lost in his eyes...

He touches every leaf
he passes,
every flower,
every petal
and claps with delight
at the feel of the rain on his skin...

He has lived a lifetime in
just shy of nine years
I've seen his scars
and know his pain,
and my heart breaks
at any sadness he might know

This boy with the deep brown
eyes
an ocean of dreams
waiting just beyond the horizon...

Locked inside himself
and yet,
his laugh is contagious
and I am wound around his little finger
as surely as he has wrapped himself
around my heart

The sound of his voice,
the mischievious grin
when he knows he's done
something he shouldn't,
the way his hair has
a mind of its own,
just like him...


I can see him,
someday sitting quietly
at a table and telling his mother
how much he loves her,
how much it meant
that she never gave up,
that she never gave in

I know it to be
true for I've seen it in my dreams,
I've seen it in his eyes...

No comments: